Thursday, October 20, 2016

1995 Mitsubishi 3000 GT Spyder

Tonight my Random Generator Program has selected:

1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT Spyder


This was actually an interesting car.  I had owned a couple of 3000GT coupes prior to getting this one and had thought they were just OK as far as sports cars go.  The Spyder version is rare though, and when this one showed up on my radar I couldn't resist.  It was in great shape and had fairly low miles.



Power retractable hardtops actually date all the way back to 1934, but they never really got them right until the 90's.  This was one of the first cars I had ever owned with one, and other than losing all your trunk space when the top is stowed, they're fantastic.  For me it works because while I like the idea of having a convertible, I drive most of the time with the top up and hate to give up the quiet ride and water-tight cockpit.  The hard top solves all of those issues.  When the top is up the car is basically a coupe.  This one wasn't the best design, but it worked pretty well.


My car was an SL model, which is simply a sporty looking 3000GT but with a rather pedestrian 6-cylinder.  The ultra-rare VR4 Spyder would be a serious sports car and the only way I would have another 3000GT.  This car was also an automatic, which most people would not prefer.  Mitsubishi interiors at the time were kind of cheap and hokie.  This one was no different.  I eventually sold this car to a guy that was actually collecting 3000GTs (no kidding).  He had a barn full of them and paid too much for this one.  Other than low mileage VR4s, they still aren't all that collectible today.


No comments:

Post a Comment