Tuesday, October 11, 2016

1998 Lexus LS 400

1998 Lexus LS 400


This was one of the best cars I've ever owned - period!  You can debate whether or not it's a cool car, but there is just no denying how good the Lexus LS 400 from '98-'00 was.  I owned this car for years, and drove it a lot while it was around.  It became my favorite "have to go do something" car.  I had owned a '97 years earlier and thought it was a pretty nice car, but the changes in '98 actually hit the sweet spot for the LS.  They lost their way from '01-'03, but found it again in 2004 (I currently own a 2005).


I didn't take a ton of pictures of this car, but when I sold it around the time these pictures were taken it had nearly 150K miles on it.  It looked like it had 20K.  Others I've seen have looked just as good.  They just didn't show wear.  It's not a car that you would call "sporty", but is surprisingly powerful and even nimble when needed.  It's not the car for enjoying the driving experience (think BMW), but it's the perfect car to go from point A to point B in as comfortable and relaxing a way possible - regardless of how far apart those points are.    


Mine was fully optioned (the best way to buy used examples), but the navigation system was certainly outdated.  Everything worked - perfectly - and the car never let us down.  I kept this one around long after it was needed simply because it was so much better than what I knew I would get for it.  Alas, it was just taking up space and so I reluctantly let it go.  Maybe a year or two later I bought the 2005 that we still have.  It's even better than the '98, but it's sort of in the same situation: not really needed anymore but too good to just let go.   



No comments:

Post a Comment