Thursday, June 22, 2017

1980 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow II

1980 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow II


Certainly one of the more interesting cars I've had, this 1980 Rolls was in outstanding condition.  It was silver with Oxblood (red) interior that I found to be a striking combination.  I saw the car at an auction and no one seemed to be interested...except me.  I couldn't resist and I got it for what I thought was a steal.


Whoever owned it prior to my purchase had clearly put a great deal of effort, and probably $$$, into restoring it to its original splendor.  The paint and body were basically flawless.  The interior looked fantastic as well, but the recently dyed leather always felt a bit tacky to me.  It would come off if you were wearing certain materials.  I learned quickly what would and would not work.


These cars were hand-built in England, and the craftsmanship on items such as the wood and headliner is really fascinating.  I had to remove the dash wood once to check some wiring and was surprised to find that the wood panel had been signed on the back by the individual who carved it along with a little note.

  
This particular model is what I think of when picturing the classic Rolls Royce. The Silver Shadow II was made from 1978 to 1980 and by Rolls standards was rather plentiful.


I drove this car sparingly while I had it.  It was fun to take out to dinner or around town, but I never hit the freeways in it.  It drove like a large boat - smooth but floaty.  Everything worked perfectly.  


All in all, I loved this car.  I never really trusted it though, and I was always paranoid about it overheating.  The big V8 was strong, but the car weighed 6,000 pounds so it was cumbersome and clumsy.  If you weren't in a hurry it was a joy to drive.


I've owned a couple of Rolls Royce's since, one newer and one older, and I can tell you that they didn't really change much for decades.  The interiors are especially similar.  


When I did decide to sell the car, it was pretty easy.  A doctor from dallas bought it.  She flew in and drove it home.  This was a rare case of me actually selling a car for more than I paid for it, but that was entirely due to how well it was bought.


Thinking of getting one today?  I would cautiously say "why not".  Old Rolls Royce's are shockingly cheap, but the uniqueness and complexity of the mechanicals makes them extremely expensive should something go wrong.  Parts are brutal as well, and can be difficult to find.  I would never recommend one of these things as daily transportation, but as a fun hobby vehicle to take out and enjoy it's a great option....if you have deep pockets.  I didn't really have to do anything to this one, but my other ventures into British motoring hierarchy have resulted in some staggering repair costs.    

No comments:

Post a Comment