Tuesday, June 13, 2017

1988 Mercedes Benz 560SEC

1988 Mercedes Benz 560SEC


"The name's Dalton."  Pretty much exactly like the car Swayze drove in 'Roadhouse' - I loved this thing!  I bought it for almost nothing at an auction, kept it for three or four years, and then sold it for almost nothing.  Those of you who knew me back when I had my house in La Porte will remember that I had effectively a 30 car garage in addition to my warehouses.  If I still had that place this car would be in it.  When I moved, this car just sat in storage with all the others and I eventually sold it.  If you're car isn't easily accessible you won't drive it much.  


Back when I had it, these SEC cars were just used Mercedes.  Now they've become classics and prices have shot up.  They're kind of retro-cool now, but still great to drive.  This car had about 130K miles on it but was in nearly immaculate shape.  I don't think anybody in my life at the time liked this car as much as I did, but it fit me perfectly.


Best of all was the interior.  The leather had clearly been redone and I loved the two-tone brown look.  With the exception of the console wood starting to crack, it was like new inside - which is why you're about to see more interior pictures than usual for one of these.




The back seats were usable for a two door.  They were also very comfortable.  You have to remember that this was an $80K car when new so everything was pretty nice.


Even the headliner was like new.  The sunroof was huge and it had pillarless windows so when you had them all open it was like having a convertible, but with shade.


I look for these now, but they're really hard to find in decent shape unless you want to pay a lot of money.  I'd take one for the right price in a heartbeat though.  


Smooth and quiet, even at 140 mph.  Built like a tank.  This is a car that makes for a great classic to have in the garage.  If you have a nice, clean example you won't have to apologize anywhere for this car.  You can drive it anytime in any weather if needed, and it will be appreciating while you do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment